The Voice of Reason

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

She is 92 years old, petite, well poised, and proud. She is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with her hair fashionably coiffed, and her make up perfectly applied, in spite of the fact she is legally blind.

Today, she has moved to a nursing home. Her husband of 70 years recently passed away, making this moved necessary. After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home,  as I was asked to accompany her, she smiled sweetly when told her room was ready. As she maneuvered her walker to the elevator, I provided the visual description of her tiny room, including the eyelet curtains that had been hung on her window.

I love it, she stated with the enthusiasm of an eight year old having just been presented with a new puppy. Mrs. Jones, you haven't seen the room.. just wait, I said. Then she spoke these words that I will never forget; "That does not have anything to do with it she said gently. Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged. It is how I arranged my mind. I have already decided to love it." "It is a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice. I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body had no longer work, or can get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do work. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes is open, I will focus on the new day and all the happy memories I have stored away... just for the time in my life"

In addition , she said "old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you have already put in. And she believed that the background of circumstances may influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become".

With what she said , I realized that she is a very optimistic, and strong woman. She didn't fell sorry of what she got. In fact she accepted it with all her heart. I wish all the people are like her. But it's not, everybody is different.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog of the Day

Subscribe Here

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

My Blog List

Followers

Grab Mine, I'll Grab Yours

Pinoy Life Abroad

Directories & PR

money maker

adF,ly